- Researcher, Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands, 2021 - present.
- Researcher and developer, KNAW Humanities Cluster, 2018-2020.
- Researcher and developer, Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands, 2016-2018.
- Research software engineer, Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision, 2016.
- Assistant Professor of Digital Humanities, Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC), University of Amsterdam 2013-2016
- Assistant Professor of Cultural Information Science, Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC), University of Amsterdam 2011-2016
- Postdoc, Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC), University of Amsterdam 2010-2011
- PhD Candidate, Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC), University of Amsterdam 2006-2010
- ACM RecSys 2021 Workshop Co-Chair
- Co-editor and initiator of the DH Benelux Journal (2018 - present)
- Chair of the Steering Committee of the Digital Humanities in the Benelux annual conferences (2013 - present)
- Chair of the Executive Board of the Digital Humanities in the Benelux Conferences (2021 - 2022)
- Advisory panel for Digital Humanities evaluation of Dutch academic institutions (2017)
- Programme Coordinator for Master programme Archival and Information Science , Media Studies, University of Amsterdam (2014-2016)
- Educational programme committee chair for Bachelor programme Media and Information (2014-2016)
- DH Benelux 2015 Programme Committee Co-Chair
- DH Benelux 2014 Programme Committee Co-Chair
- PhD Student Mentor at ECIR 2011
- Research internship with Microsoft Research Cambridge (April - June 2008)
- Reviewer for international journals: PLOS One, Information Processing & Management, Information Retrieval, Journal of Documentation, International Journal of Digital Libraries, Scientometrics, Digital Scholarship in the Humanities, User Modelling and User-Adaptive Interfaces, Knowledge-based Systems, Semantic Web Journal, Expert Systems with Applications, Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, Digital Humanities Quarterly, Frontiers in Digital Humanities,
- Reviewer for international conferences: SIGIR, ECIR, CIKM, JCDL, CHIIR, WSDM, CLEF, RecSys, IUI, KDD, ADHO Digital Humanities, ACH, DH Benelux.
Grants and AWards
- Impact of Fiction - NWO / Netherlands eScience Center call Accelerating Scientific Discovery 2020. September 2021 - September 2024.
- Best Paper Award - ACM Conference on Human Inforamtion Interaction and Retrieval (CHIIR) 2021: Manifesto for Interactive Information Retrieval Resource Reuse. With Toine Bogers, Maria Gäde, Mark M. Hall and Vivien Petras
- Netherlands eScience Centre - CHAT preparatory phase project Beyond the book (co-applicant): analysing the cross-cultural readability of novels based on textual features.
- Legal Structures - 2013 Digging into Data Challenge. 2014-2016. Analysing reference networks of the world’s Civil Codes and constitutions.
- Microsoft BooksOnline 2012 award. £2,000 seed fund for proposal “Building Benchmarks for Social Book Search Evaluation through Crowdsourcing”.
- PhD Information Retrieval, University of Amsterdam, 2011
- Master of Science in Artificial Intelligence, Language and Speech track (Cum Laude), University of Amsterdam, 2005
- Bachelor in Artificial Intelligence, University of Amsterdam, 2004