- Guest Lectures
- Invited Talks
I’ve (co-)organised numerous workshops related to Information Retrieval, Recommender Systems and Digital Humanities. Below is a fairly complete list, with links to workshop materials.
Workshops and Evaluation Campaigns on Information Retrieval and Recommender Systems
- ACM RecSys 2020 workshop on Recommendation in Complex Environments, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2020-09-25
- ACM RecSys 2019 workshop on Recommendation in Complex Scenarios, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2019-09-20
- ACM CHIIR 2019 workshop on Barriers to Interactive IR Resources Re-use, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK, 2018-03-10
- ACM RecSys 2018 workshop on Recommendation in Complex Scenarios, Vancouver, Canada, 2018-10-07
- ACM CHIIR 2018 workshop on Barriers to Interactive IR Resources Re-use, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, USA, 2018-03-15
- ACM RecSys 2017 workshop on Recommendation in Complex Scenarios, Como, Italy, USA, 2017-08-31
- ACM CHIIR 2017 workshop on Supporting Complex Search Tasks, Oslo and Akershus University College, Oslo, Norway, 2017-03-11
- ACM RecSys 2016 workshop on New Trends in Content-Based Recommender Systems, Boston, MA, USA, 2016-09-16
- ECIR 2015 First Workshop on Supporting Complex Search Tasks, TU Wien, Vienna, Austria, 2015-03-19
- ACM RecSys 2015 workshop on New Trends in Content-Based Recommender Systems (Vienna, Austria, 2015-09-20)
- ACM RecSys 2014 workshop on New Trends in Content-Based Recommender Systems, Silicon Valley, US, 2014-10-06
- Lead organiser of the international evaluation campaigns Social Book Search Track (2012-2014) and Lab (2015-2016) at CLEF (Conference and Labs of the Evaluation Forum)
- Co-organiser of the international evaluation campaign Book Track 2008-2011 at INEX (INitiative for Evaluation of XML retrieval)
Workshops, Tutorials and Panels on Digital Humanities
- [Coding Literacy], panel discussion at DH Benelux 2019, Université de Liège, Liège, Belgium, 2019-09-13
- Documenting Research Practices in DH, workshop at DH Benelux 2019, Université de Liège, Liège, Belgium, 2019-09-11
- Data Scopes for Digial Humanities researchers workshop at KNAW Humanities Cluster, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2-30 September 2019 (in Dutch)
- Data Scopes for Developers workshop at KNAW Humanities Cluster, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 16-20 April 2018
- Data Scopes for Digial Humanities researchers workshop at KNAW Humanities Cluster, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 16-20 April 2018 (in Dutch)
- Workshop on Digital Tool Criticism 2018, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2018-06-06
- Workshop on Digital Tool Criticism 2017, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2015-05-22
- Historical Network Research workshop (CREATE/Digital Humanities), University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2015-06-19
- Workshop on Digital Tool Criticism 2015, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2015-05-22
- Modelling Topics in Historic Newspapers workshop, Ghent University, Belgium, 2015-02-15
- Coding the Humanities workshop at THATCamp, Utrecht University, Netherlands, 2015-01-28
- Topic Modelling with Newspaper Archives, National Library of the Netherlands, 2014-01-19
- Crash Course Digital Humanities at the University of Amsterdam (20-24 October 2013, 21-25 October 2014, 19-23 October 2015)
- Digital Tool Criticism, MA Digital Humanities, University of Groningen, 2021-03-02
- Digital History - Maritieme Carrières bij de VOC, BA History, Leiden Universty, 2020-11-26
- From Objects to Data, Minor Digital Humanities, VU University Amsterdam, Septebmer-October 2018
- Data Scopes - Towards transparent data research in digital history, tutorial for the Dutch research school Political History, KNAW Humanities Cluster, Amsterdam, 2021-02-12
- Data Scopes - Towards transparent data research in digital history, tutorial for the Dutch research school Political History, KNAW Humanities Cluster, Amsterdam, 2020-01-21
- Historische Bronnen en Topic Modelling, BA History course Digitale Methoden en Bronnenkritiek, University of Amsterdam, 2018-04-24
- Topic Modelling and Semantic Search, course Search, BA Media and Information, University of Amsterdam, 2016-02-08
- Zoeken en Onderzoeken, BA Content en Toegankelijkheid, Haagse Hogeschool, The Hague, Netherlands, 2015-03-25
- Semantisch Zoeken, BA Content en Toegankelijkheid, Haagse Hogeschool, The Hague, Netherlands, 2015-03-17
- Tools that Encourage Criticism at the Symposium on Tools Criticism, Leiden University , Leiden, Netherlands, 2019-11-21
- A Hands-on Approach to Digital Tool Criticism - Tools for (self-)Reflection, at the workshop on Digital Hermeneutics in History: Theory and Practice, C2DH, University of Luxembourg, 2019-10-25
- Narrative-Driven Recommendation for Complex Leisure Needs, at Google Conversational Search and Recommendation workshop, Google, London, 2019-08-28
- Hobby Horses and Detail Devils, Huc Lecture, 2019-06-13
- Narrative-driven Recommendation for Casual-Leisure Needs, RecSysNL Meetup, Amsterdam, 2019-02-19
- Search in Research, Let’s Make it More Complex! - Collaboratively Looking Under the Hood and Its Consequences, CLARIAH Summer School Media Studies, 2018-07-03
- Scholarly Web Annotation, at HuC Live, KNAW Humanities Cluster, Amsterdam, 2018-12-12
- Exploiting user interactions to support complex book search tasks - Talk at Search Engines Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2016-09-29.
- Bibliometrics in Online Book Discussions: Lessons for Complex Search Tasks - Keynote presentation at the Bibliometrics-enhanced Information Retrieval Workshop, ECIR 2016, Padova, Italy, 2016-03-20.
- Issues with Anonymization - Talk at the Data Privacy and Ethics workshops, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2015-10-13.
- Understanding Book Search Through Social Interactions - Talk at the ILLC Midsummer Colloquium, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2015-06-17.
- Fallacies in the Data Visualization Process - Talk at the Antwerp Spring Academy in Digital Humanities, Antwerp, Belgium, 2015-06-11.
- Measuring the International Appeal of Novels - Talk at the eHumanities Group, Meertens Instituut, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2015-01-15.